Lying between Oudtshoorn and Cape Town along the Route 62 is the famous wine-producing town of Montagu.
Spending your time in Montagu is a relaxing experience.
In fact, there are a number of activities you can do that are both fun and affordable.
Local newspaper editor, Mareletta Mundey, was recently asked to compile a list of the top 15 things one can do in Montagu for R100 or less.
Here is what she found:
- Enjoy the various hikes that the amazing Montagu Mountains have to offer. The area is very popular with hikers and accommodates two highly acclaimed trails and four popular walks. There is something for everyone, from a short “Lovers Walk”, to the challenging Bloupunt hike.
- Visit the Montagu Village Market every Saturday from 8:30am until 12:30pm. Entrance is free, and you will be surprised how much you can buy – everything is fresh and delicious.
- Visit Guano Caves. For a day visit to the Animal Farm and Bunny Farm, adults pay only R30 and children under 12 years-old only pay R20. Take a pony ride with the kids at only R50! With so much to do, you can stay longer and try out their other activities such as hiking or a scenic tractor trip into the mountain.
- Grab your camera and hit the streets of Montagu. You will be amazed at all the architectural wonders, roses, gardens and interesting people that make for great photography. Be sure to take a photo at the Cat Crossing in Bath Street!
Do a Brandy Tasting and Cellar Tour at Kingna Distillery. Here you can enjoy an amazing potstill brandy and educational conversations with the Brandy Master – totally free!
- Bring the kids to enjoy the MTB track at Die Kloof Padstal, or let them loose in the play park and wet their feet in the river while under relaxed adult supervision.
- Taste some olives, olive oil and tapenade at the Mirihof Guest House and Olive Farm. Enjoy a leisurely day strolling through the olive orchards or take a hike up the mountains.
- Follow the Longest Wine Route all along Route 62 and fully experience why Montagu houses the cou
- Take full advantage of all the cycle routes around town, some more challenging than others. Grab the brand – new Cycle Route Map from the Montagu-Ashton tourism office and get cycling!
- You can blend your own bottle of wine at Excelsior Wine Cellar for less than R80, and you can even take your own creation home. For the more adventurous, explore the farm and scenic view points by mountain bike or golf cart.
- Take a trip on the Viljoensdrift boat on the Breede River only R80 per person. Create your own picnic that you can enjoy either on the boat or along the riverside.
- Make time for an ‘Out of this World’ Milkshake at Burgundy Gherkin. A mouthful, yes, but so are their delectable Pizzas, Pastas, Salads, Deserts and Specials throughout the year. They are renowned for their good atmosphere and even better tasting food!
- Taste the amazing artisan beers at Route 62 Brewing Company. While you order your favourite beer, indulge in a lovely light lunch while watching the Church street come to life.
- Enjoy the magical display of stars in a Karoo night sky while camping “unplugged” at the Simonskloof Mountain Retreat. It only costs R90 per adult and R45 per child per night of camping.
- Every first Sunday of the Month, the best kept Local’s secret, is an intimate Artisan Food market at The Barn on 62! Pop in for some good food and interesting conversation with the locals.
Enjoy reading this article? For more articles like this click here